USAO Men’s Golf Returns this Fall on Fire

Emily Loughridge

A practice round at Winter Creek Golf & Country Club in Blanchard OK before the fall season started. It pictures Smith, Brewer, and Murphy alongside head coach Luke Burns

Caleb Smith, Contributing Writer

USAO’s men’s golf team returned from their first tournament of the fall season with new program records. The U.C Ferguson Classic hosted 18 teams at Lincoln Park West (Par 71, 6576 yards) in Oklahoma City. A lightning delay shorted the 54-hole tournament to a 36-holes. Yet, the excitement is beginning to build for the four-year program. The team posted a record program low with a score of 278 (-6) in round one and 286 (+2) in round two for an overall 9th place finish.

USAO traveled with an eight-man crew, although only five counted towards the team score. With a flaming hot start to his college career, freshman Conner Cryer led the team with a top 10 finish. Cryer had an impressive first day with an almost bogey free, six birdie round one where he shot five under par. In round two, Cryer shot even par to finish his first collegiate tournament five under par.

Jax Brewer, a sophomore, rolled into this season to shoot three under par in round one and one under in round two. Brewer finished in 16th place with a final score of four under par. Senior, Caleb Smith battled through a few hardships to come out two over par in round one and even in round two. Smith tied for 47th place.

Switzerland native, Luca Gisler powered through his first collegiate tournament. Gisler shot one over par in round one and two over in round two allowing his a 65th place finish. Sophomore, Luke O’Dell showed solid improvements with a 66th place finish with a score of one over par in round one and six over in round two.

Tate Trotter, who played as an individual in this tournament, broke a USAO school record. Trotter now holds the record low for a single round after shooting six under in his second round at the tournament. The previous record holders were Smith and Cryer with scores of 66. The last two members of the Drover squad are Jaeden Ellis and Grant Murphy who finished 77th and 84th respectively.

The men’s team will return to the greens Sept. 12th at the Maridoe Golf Club in Carrollton, TX.

Caleb Smith is a fourth-year Biology major at the University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma