USAO vs. Science & Arts

Emily Loughridge, Contributing Writer

Most people do not like change, so when the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma made some huge changes, regarding their preferred name, the students, staff, and faculty began asking why this change was made. There are a lot of opinions swirling around campus about the University’s new look. Students said they felt unaware and confused by some of the changes. Few question the necessity of rebranding the entire institution.

Since April of 2021, the University has begun going by “Science & Arts” instead of “USAO,” which has been used for many years. According to Amy Goddard, director of communications and marketing, the change in name preference is part of a statewide awareness campaign. Goddard also said the University is implementing the more prominent use of Minerva. While Minerva may seem like a new face on campus, she has been a part of the University’s seal since 1921. So, what was the reasoning behind these changes?

“It helps us stand out. Everybody has their acronym that means something to them, so by using Science & Arts it helps us stand out a little more. It is a little bit more memorable, and it emphasizes our focus on the science and arts, which is key in our interdisciplinary culture that we have here,” said Goddard.

Goddard and her team were allotted five years’ worth of funding from the Science & Arts Foundation to raise more statewide awareness. The funding will total $625,000 over five years, and all the money will be geared towards putting the University’s name in the public eye more.

“One of the things that is great about this university is for all these years, any sort of funding has been invested into the academics, as it should because our academics are stellar. However, that means nothing if people don’t know about us,” said Goddard, “Overall, it has been positive feedback. I think people are excited to see a fresh, new look out there for the University. I think it has on some level, increased people’s pride in the University.”

Goddard said her department emailed a survey to all students and faculty in March 2021 “to provide input on three different designs for the new university.” Goddard recorded more than 200 responses to the survey.

To assess how students and faculty feel about the implemented changes the Trend conducted a random, unscientific survey. After the survey was taken, students became more aware of changes made on campus. The Trend received back 76 responses out of 80 surveys handed out to the students and faculty. Goddard said the preferred name change was to raise awareness about the University; however, the Trend’s results suggest that not everyone agrees with the changes.

Of the 76 responses, 100% say that they more commonly refer to the University as “USAO.” One senior said, “Nobody knows what ‘Science & Arts’ is.”

“’Science & Arts’ is weirdly vague and not something I hear and think ‘Oh, that’s an institute for higher education’,” said one freshman.

Of the returned surveys, 18% agree that “Science & Arts” lessens the emphasis of being a part of a university and by saying “USAO” more people understand it is a place for higher education.

“I just don’t understand why the University would take the ‘University’ out of its name. It is kind of like saying we aren’t good enough to be called a university,” one response read.

Emily Loughridge is a sophomore at the University of Science and Arts in Oklahoma.