Drover Difference Day Approaches

A piece of trash on the ground in front of Troutt Hall, which will need to be picked up on Drover Difference Day. Photo by Cortni Taylor.

Cortni Taylor

When is the last time you made a difference in someone’s life? You have the chance to give back to others this spring during USAO’s 12th annual Drover Difference Day.

You can volunteer your time to the Chickasha community Friday, March 4. All participants must be registered by Feb. 22 to ensure transportation and a t-shirt.

Nancy Hughes, Dean of Students, says Drover Difference Day is a chance to build relationships with the community of Chickasha.

“The city does a lot for the university and for our students, so it’s just an opportunity for us to give back and to say, kind of a thank you in this way,” she said.

In the past, students have done everything from yard work for home health patients to organizing books at the public library.

Leah Glass, a senior communication major, has participated in Drover Difference Day twice.

“My freshman year I went to the animal shelter, and I walked dogs and bathed kittens. The second time I went to the museum in town, we were pulling out these really old newspapers which was really cool,” she said.

Glass also says that the experience made her feel closer to Chickasha.

“I genuinely felt so good because the older woman at the museum really needed the help to get those things done, so I felt really useful,” she said.

Students can register to participate via an online form through the university’s website.

https://usao.edu/student-life/activities-organizations/leadership-opportunities/drover-difference-day.html

Cortni Taylor is a sophomore at the University of Science and Arts.