DroverThon is making a Difference!

Droverthon’s hospital and family relations chair, Kaylee Ragon, finalizes details for the upcoming 5k in a Day event. Photo by Hannah Dudleson

Hannah Dudleson

As the spring semester plows ahead at full speed, so do the fundraising efforts of one of the most well-known and well-loved organizations on campus: Droverthon. Led by President Aliyah Payne, Droverthon is Science and Arts chapter of the Children’s Miracle Network and is dedicated to raising money to donate to Oklahoma Children’s Hospital. Droverthon hosts events throughout the year dedicated to raising money and providing Science and Arts students with a fun and unique way to make a difference.

Throughout the spring semester, Droverthon will host three major events: Miracle Week, the Droverthon Dance Marathon, and 5k in a Day.

The 5k for a Day event is coming up quickly, taking place on February 10th. This year the event is virtual, meaning participants can send their scores and times into Droverthon on the day of the event. Droverthon’s hospital and family relations chair, Kaylee Ragon said “Our goal is to raise $5,000 in one day to donate to the Oklahoma Children’s Hospital.” Participants can register, purchase a t-shirt, and make donations. The deadline for purchasing a t-shirt to have by the time the event starts is January 24th.

“We have lots of ideas for Miracle Week,” Ragon said. Miracle Week, she went on to explain, is a week where Droverthon hosts different events around campus to raise money. Some of the events she listed that could potentially take place included a bake sale, golf cart rides to class, a movie night, and even a concert. “Remember, nothing is set in stone yet,” she laughed. Miracle Week will tentatively take place the week of February 28th through March 4th.

The dance marathon is the big event of the year for Droverthon. Taking place on March 25th, the dance marathon is a night of food, fun, and a dance marathon. At the end of the evening, the grand total of how much has been donated will be revealed. Each year, a miracle kid from the Children’s Hospital comes to the event. This year’s miracle kid is Kendrick, a type 1 diabetic.

Kaylee and her two younger sisters have all received treatment at Oklahoma Children’s hospital and Kaylee says her reason for supporting Droverthon is “because I want kids to have the ability to get the same treatment as my sisters and I received.” These spring events will be huge strides towards helping kids in the Children’s Hospital, and every donation towards Droverthon makes an incredible impact on a child’s life. Droverthon meets every Tuesday at 7:30 in the music pocket of Nash Library. Go to @Droverthon on Instagram and click the link in the bio for more information, registration, and to donate.

Link to Droverthon Website