Gatkek, Allen, and Quezada Score 17 for Drover Win

Laura Barrios Bardi
Manny Gatkek uses his wingspan to block an OCU player from shooting while Cade Allen assists the play.

After a tough loss to the Lions of Langston University Saturday, Jan. 13, USAO men’s basketball (12-4, 7-3 SAC) looked to turn it around in their next matchup. The USAO Drovers faced the Oklahoma City University (OCU) Stars (4-12, 2-8 SAC) in a conference game at home Thursday, Jan. 18.

The first half showed that this was going to be a close game when, despite the Stars shooting a a low field goal percentage of 35.9%, they only trailed USAO by six going into halftime.  The Drovers were in a bit of a shooting slump as well, shooting a solid 53.3%, but only making 25% of their shots from three-point range. The half ended with the Drovers in the lead with a score of 42-36.

In the second half OCU managed to put up 48 more points on slightly improved shooting (.464) along with a key number of free-throws that kept them in the game for a majority of the second half. The Stars shot an impressive 18-20 (.90) from the free throw line in the second half compared to the Drover’s 12-14 (.85).

A late three-pointer from OCU’s Yorgio Golesis gave OCU the lead of 82-80 with three minutes to go. USAO’s Cejay Mann had a huge play securing an offensive rebound and then dishing the ball to Manny Gatkek for a layup to tie the game.

Reggie Quezada launched a game changing three-pointer that gave the Drovers the lead with a minute left on the clock. This shot put the Drovers ahead 87-84. Anthony Ray sealed the game after being fouled and making his two free throws. The Drovers emerged victorious with a final score of 89-84.

Cade Allen, Gatkek, and Quezada each had crucial roles during the game as each had 17 points each. Allen paired his points with five rebounds and two steals. Gatkek added six rebounds and two blocks. Finally, Quezada added four rebounds and three assists.

“Playing defense and getting stops,” Gatkek said about how the Drovers were able to stay focused in the second half. “Also, executing on offense and knocking down our free throws.”

Gatkek shot 7-8 from the free-throw line (87.5%) and credits his 17 points to his teammates.

“I mostly shot my same shots; they were just falling tonight. Credit to my teammates and coaches for believing in me and putting me in the position to score,” Gatkek said.

The Drovers will be on the road once again as they head to John Brown University Saturday, Jan. 20 at 3:45 p.m.

Matthew Yokum is a second-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.