New Filtered Water Fountains for USAO

SONY+DSC

SONY DSC

Britton Brewer

Are you tired of Chickasha water?  Installed on the second floor of Student Services is a new filtered water fountain.

“They have filtered water so we don’t have to drink Chickasha water anymore,” said Senator Dexter Nelson from the Student Government Association (SGA).

Along with a filtration system, these fountains have two dispensers.  One is a standard drinking fountain dispenser, and the other has a sensor and is used to fill water bottles.

According to Nelson, the idea of having the fountains was first brought to him by Kelly Brown, Director of Nash Library.  He liked them and decided they should be installed around campus.

SGA helped fund the purchase of these fountains.  “I did some research, drew up the legislation, and we purchased four of them,” said Nelson.

The first fountain was installed Monday, Oct. 14, on the second floor of Student Services, according to Nelson.

The fountains also keep count of how many plastic water bottles have been saved.  “64 water bottles have been saved since its installation on Monday,” Nelson said.

He said that one fountain will be installed in the library, and the locations of the other two are yet to be decided.

If you need a new water bottle to use with the fountains SGA has that covered too.

According to Nelson, they will be giving away water pouches that are “eco-friendly and collapsible to fit in your pocket.”  Students can pick these up from Nobbs Wellness Center and Nash Library.