24/7 Computer Lab Set to be Available Next Trimester in Nash Library

SONY+DSC

SONY DSC

Britton Brewer

Do you have trouble studying over the sound of partying roommates?  Library Director at Nash Library, Kelly Brown, hopes to have a 24/7 computer access lab up and running by next trimester.

A few years ago a focus group was done in the cafeteria in which students were asked what they would like to see, and 24/7 computer access was one of the ideas.

The room will be used for both a computer lab, and a library instruction classroom.  “There will be six computers that are desktop PCs, and then there will be chrome books that will be used for library instruction,” said Brown.

Brown originally planned on having it open by Sept. 1, but there have been some setbacks.

“It is finished in terms of new carpet and new paint,” according to Brown.  She explained that there were troubles getting new doors ready, and that the new furniture is expected to arrive in November.

“We had to put in some features to make it so that only USAO students can get in and the new ID card is one of those,” said Brown. There will be places to swipe student ID cards at the entrance to the lab, and the side door of the library, according to Brown.

There is one security camera inside the lab and one outside the door so that it can be monitored.  Also, gates have been installed and will be shut and locked to block off the rest of the library during the hours it is closed.  Steel doors will replace the wooden ones to help with security.

Once the lab is open, all students are allowed to use it free of charge at any time.  It will be located in room 118, which is downstairs in Nash Library.