Drover Dancers Select Team for Season

The dance team welcomes five returns and seven new dancers
Emily Loughridge
Laynie Sapp, returning Drover Dancer, strikes a pose during the team’s routine at the 2022 Drover Madness.

Drover Dancers, USAO’s dance team, selected 12 dancers to cheer the Drovers to victory during the 2023-24 season during tryouts Friday, Sept. 8. Drover Dancers are expected to be dedicated, have school spirit, and an enthusiastic personality.  

Among the 12 dancers, only five are returning dancers, including Mary-Grace McNutt, Laynie Sapp, Kaelynn Torres, Ceara Turpin, and Bryanna Wilson. The seven new dancers include Ronnee Buyuks, Jess Cosper, Madison Mabry, Finley Mantooth, Meadow Owen, Kayla Swearengen, and Brooklin Mathers.  

“This is my third-year dancing at USAO. I’m excited to be a part of it again. It’s just always such a fun group of girls,” McNutt, Drover Dancers co-captain, said.  

McNutt and Sapp will be co-captains for the fall trimester. Once Sapp graduates in September, Torres will step in and become the next co-captain.  

The team hosted their first team meeting Wednesday, Sept. 13 at 7:30 p.m. in the USAO’s dance studio with Coach Emily Godwin, adjunct instructor and local dance studio owner. During the meeting, the dancers and Godwin organized schedules and will begin practices soon. 

“I am very excited for this opportunity to continue my dance experience through the Drover dancers,” Owen, a freshman dancer, said. 

The Drover Dancers will perform at every home basketball game this season pumping up the crowd during halftimes, timeouts, and on the sideline throughout the games. 

For more information on the Drover Dancers, contact Godwin at ehector@usao.edu. The Drover Dancers’ first performance will be for the first men’s basketball home game against Oklahoma Wesleyan University (OWU) Nov. 1.  

Kylee Mittelstet is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.