Men’s Golf Hits the Final Stretch

Jax+Brewer+lines+up+his+next+shot+earlier+this+season+at+the+Winter+Creek+Golf+Course+in+Blanchard%2C+OK.++

Emily Loughridge

Jax Brewer lines up his next shot earlier this season at the Winter Creek Golf Course in Blanchard, OK.

Caleb Smith, Contributing Writer

The Drover men’s golf is nearing the end of their fall season with the Tabor College Fall Invite. The tournament was held at the unique Sand Creek Station Golf Course (6602 yards, par 72) in Newton, KS. Nine teams battled it out over two 18-hole rounds with some wild action in the final stretches. Overall, the Drovers finished 2nd with a team score of 296 and 301 for a total of 597 (+21).  

Sophomore Jax Brewer led the USAO team throughout the tournament, however, his personal standing in the tournament came down to the final minutes. When Brewer walked off the course he was tied for 1st place, but a Garden City Community College (GCCC) competitor made a birdie to knock Brewer down to a tied 2nd place finish. With a finish of 68 and 77 for a total 145 (+1) this led to a three-way tie for 2nd place which was taken to a playoff to determine the outright 2nd place individual.

Teeing off on the treacherous par 5 hole 10 one competitor from GCCC fell to the teeth of the first playoff hole. After duking it out over three more holes, Brewer slipped up and lost the playoff leading to an official 3rd place finish. It remains evident that Brewer had a great showing of his talent in USAO’s fifth tournament of the season. 

Sophomore Luke O’Dell found himself a 7th placed showing after shooting 76 and 74 respectively for a total of 150 (+6). O’Dell is showing off his potential to lower his golf scores thanks to his six birdies. Freshmen Conner Cryer was hot on O’Dell’s heels with tied 8th place finish with a 74 and 77. Grant Murphey, champion of the Battle at Winter Creek and SAC player of the week, found himself a top 10 finish of 78 and 76 for a total of 154 (+10). Another Drover that found himself within the top 15 was Tate Trotter who fought his way to an 81 and 75 to total 155 (+11).

International powerhouse Luca Gisler pulled off quite the show with his scores of 72 and 79 for a total 151 (+7) and tied 8th place position. Freshman Jaeden Ellis shot a solid 71 and 83 total 154 (+10) for his tied 10th place finish. Finally, Caleb Smith shot 81 and 79 total 160 (+16) for a tied 19th place ending.   

As the men finished their fifth tournament of the season, they will move onto their sixth and final tournament early next week. The final battle will be hosted by the Territory Golf Course on October 17th and 18th in Duncan, OK. 

Caleb Smith is a fourth-year Biology major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.